Planned Giving: Your Key to Leaving a Legacy
“No human foresight can provide against earthquakes or volcanic eruptions or pestilence or famine. War, on the other hand, may in certain instances, be averted. But mark this well; It may be averted in one way only and that is to be fully prepared for it. That is the meaning of this (U.S. Naval War) College: It is an instrumentality for the prevention of war by being prepared for it.”
U.S. Naval War College Founder Stephen B. Luce
Preparation, as Rear Admiral Luce points out, is key to the prevention of war and to most other successful outcomes in life. While most people don’t dwell on it, preparation is both important and necessary when facing one’s own eventual mortality. While, no amount of human foresight can avert it, preparing for death is inevitable and necessary, especially if you wish to leave a legacy.
There are many ways a person can leave a legacy chief among them, through a planned gift advancing an institution about which you care deeply. If you’ve read up to this point on the page and haven’t clicked off, then it isn’t much of a leap to assume you care deeply about national security, America, world peace and the U.S. Naval War College. For this, we thank you.
The Naval War College is an iconic symbol of the United States’ storied military history. Established in 1884, it has a rich heritage as the oldest and most preeminent educational institution of its kind in the world. Producing and mentoring leaders is a key part of that heritage—one that is vital and necessary—sewn right into the very fabric of our Nation.
You, too, can share in that rich and enduring heritage by becoming a member of the Naval War College Foundation’s Heritage Society. Membership in the Society through a planned gift to the NWCF, will help sustain the College in its work to educate and mentor strong leaders to ensure a more secure and peaceful world. It also ensures your own personal legacy at the College and beyond.
The Heritage Society recognizes individuals who have had the foresight and generosity to include the Naval War College Foundation in their estate plans. Its members keenly understand that providing philanthropic support is necessary to sustain the College in keeping with our Forefathers’ goals of ensuring domestic tranquility and providing for the common defense. Membership in the Heritage Society helps to sustain the College for our posterity.
There are many ways to become a member of the Heritage Society:
- Through a specific, general or residual bequest to the Naval War College Foundation listed in your will or living trust;
- By naming the Naval War College Foundation as a beneficiary in your life insurance policy;
- By naming the Naval War College Foundation as a beneficiary in your retirement account;
- Through a Charitable Gift Annuity whereby in exchange for your gift, the NWCF pays an annual fixed amount of money to you and/or another beneficiary for life;
- Through a Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust whereby you establish a trust from which you and/or other beneficiaries receive an annual fixed amount of money for life and/or period of years, after which the remainder of the trust assets pass to NWCF;
- Through a Charitable Remainder Unitrust, whereby you establish a trust from which you and/or other beneficiaries receive an annual variable amount of money for life and/or period of years, after which the remainder of the trust assets pass to NWCF;
- Through a Donor Advised Fund, whereby you establish a donor advised fund from which you make a tax-deductible gift to the NWCF today working in partnership with us to determine the specific use of the gift;
- Through a Charitable Lead Trust, whereby you establish a trust, making an annual gift to the NWCF for a pre-determined period of years, after which, the remaining assets of the trust go to your designated beneficiary;
- Through a Pooled Income Fund, whereby your gift is placed in an investment pool such as a mutual fund. The income on your pooled investment is paid to you and/or your beneficiary for life, after which your gift is withdrawn from the pool and gifted to the NWCF in accordance with your wishes.
These planned giving vehicles are designed to help you leave a legacy at the U.S. Naval War College, while at the same time, in many circumstances benefit you and your loved ones financially.
The Heritage Society awaits your entry. Now is the time to insure a more secure and peaceful world for ourselves and our posterity. If you have already put the NWCF in your estate plan, but have yet to let us know, or for more information about the Heritage Society, please contact the NWCF office at 401-848-8300 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for your generosity.