Newport National Security Symposium
AUGUST 19, 2022, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
The symposium is SOLD OUT. Online registration is now closed.
On Friday, August 19, experts across the defense and intelligence community will come together in Newport, Rhode Island to discuss opportunities to reshape our defense and national security strategy around quickly changing global power dynamics.
The 2022 National Defense Strategy identifies China as the United States’ most consequential strategic competitor. This event will focus on China’s growing ability to challenge international stability, and how the West can enhance the effectiveness of its integrated deterrence strategy.
During the event, we will explore applications of U.S. power across the full range of competition, including in the gray zone of activities short of armed conflict.
Keynote speakers and panelists will cover:
- Key drivers behind the 2022 U.S. Department of Defense National Defense Strategy
- How we can maintain an advantage over China in conventional warfare capability
- Effectiveness of nuclear weapons as a deterrent against nuclear-capable adversaries
- New threats associated with the quickly changing distribution of power in the world
- Growing use of cyber, sanctions, technology, and diplomacy in deterrence strategy C 2022 NNSS Speaker Bios
Click here to see our speakers and bios.
Click here to see the agenda.
COVID-19 update: Naval Station Newport is currently observing HPCON A, the U.S. Department of Defense designation for Low COVID-19 Community Level in the county in which the installation is located. Masking remains optional at the U.S. Naval War College.